Brownfield Redevelopment Authority
The Brownfield Redevelopment Authority (BRA) is the administrative board advancing the goals and accomplishing the tasks identified for the Oakland Brownfield Initiative. Oakland County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority is utilized specifically:
- To assist key developments in communities that may be averse to establishing their own BRA as part of the county's ongoing economic development efforts and/or to protect key environmental assets
- To assist specific developments in communities that may have few parcels or limited capacity to administer a redevelopment project
- To systematically administer and redevelop tax reverted property that the county may come to own
Under state law, a BRA is required to access certain financing incentives and tax increment financing to recover remediation expenses. BRAs allow for the development of a revolving loan fund and a means for recovering administrative costs of the BRA.
Tax Increment Financing (TIF)
Capture of increased local and school property tax revenues on eligible property by a brownfield redevelopment authority to pay for the costs of the following eligible activities:
1. Environmental response, demolition, and lead or asbestos abatement statewide, plus
2. Infrastructure improvements and site preparation in qualified local governmental units
Tax increment revenues are generated by investment in, and redevelopment of, eligible property which includes contaminated, blighted or functionally obsolete. The eligible property must be approved in a brownfield plan.
Eligible activities are conducted on the property as part of the redevelopment project. As the property value increases, the captured tax increment revenues are used to reimburse the eligible costs. If captured school taxes will be used to pay for certain environmental response activities or all of the non-environmental activities, prior approval of a work plan by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality/Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MDEQ/MEDC) is necessary.
Anyone who incurs eligible costs under an approved brownfield plan is entitled to reimbursement with tax increment revenues captured by a BRA.
Link to MI DEQ Environmental Mapper
Royal Oak Township