|Oakland County, blessed with 1,450 inland lakes and its proximity to the Great Lakes (containing one-fifth of the world's fresh surface water supply) has instituted ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 standards in its water resources offices. These characteristics make it an ideal location for innovative water technology resource, development and implementation.
- The global water technology industry is estimated at $23 trillion over the next 20-30 years.
- The global market for water engineering is $400 billion a year and growing.
- The global market for water treatment is $58 billion annually.
- The global membrane treatment market for industrial water and wastewater is expected to reach $5.5 billion annually by 2015.
- The $1.2 billion consumer water purification market in the United States will increase 4.4 percent annually through 2012.
- United States companies discharge trillions of gallons of water annually and only 10 percent is treated for re-use.
- The deterioration of the water and sewage piping network in the United States will lead to business opportunities for water and wastewater technology companies.
- Daily water usage in the United States in estimated at 410,000 million gallons.
- By 2020, the global demand for water will exceed the available supply by 470 trillion gallons.
- The U.S. military is aggressively pursuing innovative water purification technologies as well as technologies aimed at generating water from non-traditional sources such as ambient air and vehicle exhaust.
Oakland County based H2Opportunities (H2Opps) is transforming Southeast Michigan into an accelerator for water-dependent industries. H2Opps is spawning the creation of specialized companies related to water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, storm water management and water-based energy generation and conservation.
H2Opps is an innovative, non-profit company that assists water and wastewater technology development companies in bringing their products to market. H2Opps supports these companies in four different areas:
- Real-World Validation - H2Opps assists in the planning and installation of new technologies
in "real- world" municipal and industrial applications. This allows the technology to be
tested and evaluated in a realistic setting
- Regulatory Support - H2Opps' industry expertise will help in obtaining approval from utility
operators and regulators
- Business Support - H2Opps can provide an assortment of services including: business
plans, financial planning and marketing development
funding sources including: federal and state grants, low interest loans, angel, venture and private equity
- Financial Support - H2Opps will guide you to a wide variety of public and private investment
You will need to download
Adobe Acrobat Reader
if it is not already installed on your system.